Push Back Against Google’s Attacks on Bitcoin and Cryptocurrencies
Posted on 03-06-2020.
Google continues to lash out on cryptocurrency-related content in 2020. The company’s actions appear to be a systemic and deliberate push against crypto. We join the community’s initiative to resist corporate pressure.
Just two weeks ago, Google’s YouTube administration blocked content creators Ivan on Tech, Chico Crypto, and CryptoWendyO. YouTube called the content “harmful or dangerous.”
In the first days of February, the company turned against the Cryptodealers YouTube channel. YouTube administration said they are going to look into the matter.
According to co-founder Ruslan Rud, crypto-related channels BrainMiners and BitBoy Crypto faced similar trouble.
Meanwhile, Google Store has been taking down cryptocurrency news apps, including that of Cointelegraph.
“Google did not contact Cointelegraph regarding the planned removal. We have reached out to the company but received no response as of press time,” Cointelegraph wrote.
We, the crypto-community, are bound to take action and protect our right to inform.
Memorandum by the Members of Crypto-Industry and Freedom of Information Advocates.
Google and its subsidiary YouTube have waged campaigns of suppression against the Bitcoin and blockchain industry for years. This behavior can only be compared to open acts of war. Currently, Google and YouTube systematically engage in the following activities:
- blocking cryptocurrency-related ad campaigns.
- deleting or limiting access to information pertaining to Bitcoin and cryptocurrencies on YouTube.
- pursuing a hostile information policy with regard to cryptocurrency projects.
- removing apps of cryptocurrency-related companies and media resources from Google Play.
Furthermore, Google’s disregard for human rights, e.g. user privacy violations and restriction of free access to information, has been widely documented
. Other corporations, like Apple and Facebook, have been exposed as partaking in the same violations.
We deem these actions anti-market behavior, digital militarism, and informational discrimination. We shall actively engage in community events, pursuing the goal of ending Google’s pressure on the industry.
The protests will take place in Kyiv, Odesa, Tel Aviv, and New York.
We believe that the U.S. Senate should subpoena Google representatives to testify on the corporation’s hostile actions targeting industry members. The same initiative should be followed by competent institutions and agencies across the globe.
We urge those concerned to sign a petition
in support of our demands.
#ForkGoogle is a creative informational initiative bringing together the stakeholders and companies to support the development of alternative distributed technologies based on Bitcoin and other cryptocurrency systems.
In other words, if you don’t like the policies of Google, YouTube, etc. let’s fork them. It won’t happen overnight, but it will happen thanks to systematic actions by the professional community and stakeholders’ support.
The goals of the campaign include:
- Drawing the professional community’s attention to technologies facilitating alternative content distribution and creation of media networks, as well as information processing and archiving. The community already has initial cases with projects like Steemit, Brave, etc. We should support alternative solutions more, attract investment into this sector of cryptocurrency economy, and incentivize the development of new competitive products.
- Pulling off one of the world’s largest informational campaigns about Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies. Bitcoin isn’t just red and green. It’s not just a speculative asset. With the technological foundation developed over the years, the crypto-industry is able to offer solutions to other industries. These solutions will become more effective and scalable.
- Drawing Google and YouTube’s attention to the need for clarification of the corporate policies regarding crypto-related content and services. We have to urge the administration of said services to engage in a public discussion about the need to support and develop the crypto-industry.
As part of the #ForkGoogle initiative, ForkLog team will implement a six-step strategy:
- ForkLog will launch the dedicated #ForkGoogle website section, aimed at raising awareness about distributed content sharing systems and the state of this industry segment. We welcome decentralized search engines, blogging platforms, browsers, social networks, etc. to contact us at [email protected] to discuss further cooperation.
- Similarly, forklog.media will also focus more on said projects and initiatives.
- ForkLog HUB will introduce special quotes for the projects related to said initiatives. Contact us at [email protected] using #ForkGoogle as the subject to get access.
- We will incrementally implement the technical solutions to distribute control over hub.forklog.com among the actively involved participants. We want to make the HUB partially or entirely distributed. If you are interested in supporting this initiative or are willing to help with technical or ideological challenges, contact us at [email protected] Yes, we are forking ForkLog.
- We will support the #ForkGoogle movement as the informational and educational campaign.
- We will also launch a new project called LIVE to diversify our video team’s reliance on YouTub. We will steadily move towards using multiple alternative hosting platforms for our videos and streams.
How To Help
- Sign the petition at http://chng.it/nDNPxGFY.
- Spread the word by sharing this or other relevant articles.
- Contact us at [email protected] if you have information to share.